A week ago Amelia had her 15 month appointment and I forgot to say anything about it. She got a ton of shots, and I was warned that lots of kids have reactions to this round of shots. The doctor literally said to plan on a fever and then it would be like a bonus if she didn't get one. She's never had a reaction to shots before, so I was hopeful going in, but that warning made me a little nervous.
Turns out, she was fine. The next day I actually forgot that she had even had shots the day before. So I guess we got the bonus.
She weighed in at a "whopping" 18 lb 5 oz, but it was more than she weighed at her 12 month check, so no one seemed too upset by it. She's still a very light eater, and a picky one at that. Figuring out what she will eat from day to day is still kind of tricky, and a bit of a challenge. Another challenge is trying to figure out when she's full vs when she just doesn't want to eat what's in front of her. There have been SO many times that she is acting done, and signing done, and based on all that we would have let her be done. But then I worry that she barely ate anything so we try a different food that she will likely eat and she eats it as if she's really hungry! (Right now that is food is fruit cups. She will eat fruit cups like there is no tomorrow.) So if she's saying she's done, and acting done, how am I supposed to know if she's really full or if she just wants to be done with what's in front of her?! Or, what if she's full, but she's not going to pass up a delicious cup of diced peaches?! I mean, I know I can be plenty full but if someone puts a brownie in front of me, I'm going to eat it.
Man, I can't wait until this kid can talk.
Speaking of that, she still doesn't talk. No words. The doctor was only on the edge of concern about that though, but definitely mentioned that she should have a few words by 18 months. So hopefully she does, or we're all in trouble ;)
She has recently started trying to say cheese when we say it, or ask her to say it. It's the only thing she really will try to mimic, which is improvement because she doesn't mimic anything else. Not even Mama or Dada. She'll get there though, and it's something I'm not worried about at all at this point.
So that is that. All is well.
Now here is a picture of how Amelia has been eating her peanut butter sandwiches lately. I gave her her lunch, went into the kitchen to grab my lunch, and came back to find this face:
She had apparently opened the sandwich, and dove right into it face first.
Since that day, I've witnessed it happen, and that's exactly what she's doing.
She opens it up, takes the peanut buttered side, brings it to her face, and tries to take a bite from the middle of the bread.
Getting right to the good stuff.
The girl loves her peanut butter. That, we know.
She also loves my purple phone, and getting her hands on it for even a minute makes her pretty happy.
So today was Halloween, and sure enough, it didn't happen. Not a single kid rang the doorbell. So somehow, everyone really did get the memo, and I guess we will be going out on Saturday. In November.
For the record, things here were fine. We had some strong winds and a lot of rain which caused some flooding and fallen trees in some areas, but nothing major at all. We did have several people from the West Coast check in on us, which was sweet, and I was definitely happy to report that we were fine. Though to be totally honest, I really wasn't worried about it. We are pretty far inland, and honestly, we've had regular storms that were much worse. Thankfully, because the damage on the coast is horrible, and I can't imagine what those families are going through.
So, since Halloween wasn't going to happen, I attempted a craft project with Amelia. I have always wanted to do that craft on Pinterest where you put tape down on canvas in the shape of a letter or word, then paint all over it, and peel up the tape to reveal a beautiful white letter in the middle of a rainbow-y blend of colors.
I got the bright idea that Amelia could make an "O" for Oliver's room. She's never painted before, but I figured every kid likes finger paints, and this would be an easy win.
I got her in her smock, pulled her hair back, and put some paint in front of her. She immediately put her finger in, and touched the board. Looking good.
Until she tried to eat the paint, and I had to pull her hand from her mouth. And it was all over. She didn't even want to touch the stuff after that, and got all stressed out.
I thought maybe a new color would help encourage her creativity, but no. It was just more paint that she didn't want to touch. (The blue on the board was put there by me in an attempt to show her what to do)
When we got to this face here, I gave up. Painting isn't happening today. I wonder if this finger paint aversion is related to the apparent aversion she has to the dipping sauces we've put on her tray with meals. She always seems kind of mad at them....
This is the final product from our somewhat failed attempt. I painted at least three quarters of it.
I'm saving it, and we'll try again at some point. I refuse to believe that I have kid who hates crafting. She was just having an off day, and is going to make masterpieces soon enough. I know it.
No comments:
Post a Comment