About a week ago we found out about a "Halloween Candy Walk" that was going to happen at our local Towne Center (aka- strip mall). I've been a little skeptical about how actual trick-or treating will go, as she can't even say trick-or-treat, and really won't be eating any of the candy, and some people might not like giving out candy to such a young kid. (That's not going to stop us, by the way, we're still taking her out. If she can walk, she can get dressed up and trick-or-treat!)
But I figured this would be easy, and the businesses wouldn't care about her age. Not to mention it was going to happen during the day so I could get plenty of good photos of her in her costume.
I was right! It was totally easy, and actually, she got a lot of comments about how cute she was. No one minded her being there at all.
She was a bit skeptical at first. Most places just had a bucket of candy for the kids to take from, and she was shy about grabbing it. Especially if the person holding the bucket was covered in fake blood and head injuries. (I'm looking at you, Creepy Girl at Party City)
I just couldn't get enough of this girl walking around in this outfit.
As usual, it was a little difficult at times to keep her on the sidewalk and moving in a straight direction.
She was thrilled about this leaf she found. If I remember correctly, it went into her treat bag.
This was one of the first places that she actually took a piece of candy. From there, she was a pro at it, and even enjoyed dropping her chosen piece into her bag. Which she wouldn't carry herself, but thankfully I was there to help out.
As you can see, by the end of the walk, she had the right idea, and had perfected her candy grabbing skills. So proud.
When we got home, we gave her the bag to go through. Yes, she used a paper Starbucks bag. I actually have a cute little treat bag with her name on it, but I couldn't find it in time. Hopefully I'll find it by Halloween.
Anyway, she loved pulling out each item one by one, and then designating a spot for that piece on the floor. She does this a lot actually, though obviously not with bags of candy. She currently loves to move and arrange things, and if comes out of a bag or a drawer, or off of a shelf, it's even better.
Once the floor was sufficiently covered, she started to put her candy in strategic places on the ottoman. She would bring a piece over, place it, and run bag to the bag laughing like she just did the funniest thing. Usually while looking over her shoulder to make sure I noticed her craftiness.
I love the intensity she put into placing each piece just so. If the tongue is out, she means business.
So proud of her work.
Now that it's all done, I'm definitely glad we went. Amelia probably had no clue what was going on, but she loved running around and Tom and I enjoyed watching her in costume. And she kept the hood of her costume on the entire time, which was pretty impressive.
I'm also glad we went yesterday because I just heard word that Halloween will likely be pushed from Wednesday the 31st to Saturday November 3rd! They are expecting some bad weather since we are on the edge of the hurricane that is going to hit the East coast tomorrow, and I guess everyone would rather move trick-or-treating than risk not being able to go out at all. We'll see how that works out. I can't imagine everyone knowing and understanding that Halloween is happening on another day, especially in an area that isn't going to be directly affected by the hurricane. I'm totally expecting kids to come to our door on Wednesday. I'm also totally expecting people being confused when the rest of the kids come to their door in costume in November. Hmmmm...

No comments:
Post a Comment