Today was such a great day. We finally had some good weather! Honestly, it's been so wet and gloomy all week long that anything we did today would have been nice just because it was sunny out. And it was warm, not humid, and not rainy. Loved it. Hope it stays around.
So we woke up this morning with no real plans because Tom had to go into work to get some extra stuff done, and I had to work in the afternoon too. But, we saw it was so nice out and decided to try and get to some yard sales. With the way the weather has been, who knows when we'll have another nice weekend for sales.
Lauren had told us about a big yard sale event going on in Greentree, but Tom also found one listed in a neighborhood that is seriously about a minute drive away from us. So, we went there first, thinking we'd just drive through and see what they had real quick and then get over to the big one in Greentree. But it turned out there was a lot going on and we actually never made it to Greentree at all because we had to get to work!
Lauren and Landon were even able to meet up with us for a bit before they had to take off too, so it was fun to have others to walk around with.
It was so nice out, I honestly think half the fun was just wandering the streets and being outside. There were tons of houses having sales, so we would just park and wander.
I was pretty much on the hunt for baby stuff of course, and we definitely had some luck. I'm putting in pictures because I'm so excited about it, even though I don't expect anyone to be as excited as I am. Feel free to skip past if you like :)
This first one is a little stuffed rhino we got for a quarter. It's small and I think it might be perfect to take to the hospital and give it to Amelia when she gets here.
Looks like I forgot to flip this photo. Oh well. It's just of a couple little outfits that were a buck each. I love that Toucan.
These are just some basics, but we actually need more basics! We have several fun and cute things, but she needs the practical stuff as well. Everything in this picture was a total of a dollar. I thought they were going to be 50 cents to a dollar each and when I brought it all up and started sorting them out to show her what I had she said "How about a dollar for all of it?"
Yes, how about it? I was tempted to run back to the bins and dig for more, but I had already dug through a lot of pink to find these, so I took my deal and left.
Also not flipped. I'm a horrible Blogger. It's not too exciting anyway, just some bibs, hats and hairbands. But they were only 10 cents each! Again, I had to dig through some ghastly girly things, but it was worth it. I don't even know if my baby will like things on her head (but she better) but for a dime each, I'm willing to risk it.
This turned out to be our biggest score of the day. We have been seeing these activity cubes at various consignment sales and they are always at least $20, and usually more like $30. This one was bigger than what we'd seen before (it doesn't look that big, but it is) and I like the zoo theme but she was also asking $20 and I am cheap and can't bring myself to spend that much on a used toy. The woman selling it kept stressing that it was a really great brand and that it had been expensive. And I know they aren't cheap, but I still can't justify that amount for a toy. Anyway, we passed and kept going on to the other sales.
Well, after Landon and Lauren got there, we went back with them to some of the sales we'd already seen so they could see them too. And I was kind of looking at it again because Lauren was looking at table there and out of nowhere the lady says to me "If you still want it, I'll give it to you for a real deal of 10 bucks because I just really want to get rid of it." She said something about it being the end of the day which was odd because it was probably only 10:30. Weird. Anyway, I've never seen one for $10, so I checked with Tom and he agreed that it was worth it and we could get it.
So, we love it. It was a great deal, but I was thinking about how she kept saying it was "so expensive" and I got curious and started looking around online later today. It took me a bit because there is no brand listed on it but I finally found it.
Turns out, this thing is on Amazon for $150!!! What?!! That's crazy!! I can't believe anyone would pay that much for a relatively simple toy (or any toy for that matter) but now I feel especially happy and thrifty to have gotten for $10. And I feel really smart, even though I had no idea that this thing was ever so expensive when we got it. But I don't get to feel really smart very often lately so I'll take what I can get :)
The other sides of the cube that aren't in the picture are a white board with magnets, and a wooden xylophone.
So that was our yard sale day. We also got practical things like a diaper pail, and some outlet covers, but those aren't nearly as fun to take pictures of.
I really hope we get to do more yard sales before she gets here. But really, I can do some afterwards as well. And every summer after this one. I kind of really love yard sales, maybe more than I should. Saving money while recycling someone else's stuff is pretty much my favorite thing. Oh, and I also like to dig through boxes and piles of stuff. It's really a win win for me.
As I said before, Tom and I both went to work for the afternoon. When we got home, we were discussing what to have for dinner (which has not been fun lately because I never want to eat anything!) and Tom decided he wanted to BBQ on the patio and eat outside. We've had that furniture out there all week and this is the first day we were able to use it, so I thought it was a pretty good idea.
These are a little out of order. But, this is Tom with dinner. Looking pretty happy and proud of himself :)
In case you couldn't tell how much food is on his plate!!
He used our little tiny charcoal grill because he doesn't have a propane tank for his new "grownup" grill that he got for an early Father's Day present. It's all set up in our dining room, it just needs to go outside with some propane!
By the way, I'll explain how Tom obtained such an early Father's Day present at a later date, maybe when we actually get to use it. It pretty much boils down to me not being able to keep a secret. And the fact that I really thought we would use a grill before June 19th.
Eating outside was such a nice change of pace. It's so relaxing, especially when there is no wind or bugs. I told Tom it reminded me of being in Hawaii when we were able to eat outside for nearly every meal. Which then reminded me that we need to get back to Hawaii!
Disclaimer: Pittsburgh is in no way, shape or form like Hawaii. I was just overly excited about seeing the sun and started making wild comparisons. I'm pregnant, I can say what I want.
Tom relaxing, testing out the umbrella while the charcoal heats up.
That was our Saturday! It turned out to be a pretty great day, which is awesome considering when we went to bed last night all we had plans for was work. It was nice to be able to just freestyle the day and have it turn out so well.
The only downside is that being out in the sun plus being on my feet a lot today means that I am now a little headache-y, sinus-y, and pretty tired. Totally worth it though! Here's hoping the summer weather will stick around for a bit.
Tomorrow is our "Baby Care Basics" class at the hospital, and I'm looking forward to it more now that the last class went so well. Update on that to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment