So yesterday was my first official Mother's Day (kind of). I know the baby isn't here yet. But I definitely feel like I've put some time in as a mom, even though I haven't changed a diaper or cleaned up spit-up. I have been up all night, felt her move, and experienced exhaustion. Which sounds like a mother to me :)
Anyway, we celebrated in pretty minor ways, but it was nice to have Tom recognize the day. He hid a card in my pillow on Saturday night and it took me forever to notice it, which he found funny. The card had a picture of a mom and baby giraffe. Cute! The inside was pink and said something relatively cheesy so Tom did the right thing and covered up the entire inside with a piece of paper and wrote a really sweet letter to me. Tom is pretty skilled at "customizing" cards, Ive seen him doctor up many of them over the years. His parents should know this, they've received more than one of his creations.
The card let me know that I could pick my Mother's Day gift, and that part of my gift was that he would go shopping with me for it. That is a real gift for sure, because he hates to shop. I was also promised breakfast in the morning at First Watch, which is a delicious breakfast/brunch/lunch place that I love.
Unfortunately, Saturday night was another rough night of sleeping. I had spent all day Saturday feeling very uncomfortable and I'm guessing it was more growth. It's weird that I think I can feel it, but I really think that I can! So, all the stretching and cramping made it impossible to sleep and I ended up on the couch by four in the morning where I was able to kind of nap as long as I was in a sitting up position.
Tom eventually came downstairs when he woke up and proceeded to show me his extremely sprained ankle!! Which had happened the day before while he was playing frisbee with friends and he hadn't said a thing about it! But by the morning, it looked horrible. To prove it, I took a picture:
It looks even worse today, which seems impossible, but it does. It's also extremely swollen, which is hard to see in the picture. So, Tom probably shouldn't have gone to breakfast because he clearly needs to keep that foot up, but he took me anyway. Shopping was out of the question with his foot, so I'm going to hold him to that for another day. We had a great morning, and then I had to go to work.
So, it turned out to be a pretty comical Mother's Day, as it was Tom who got to literally stay home with his feet up while I went to work! I also wouldn't let him get up to do anything, so he had everything brought to him. I feel so bad about his foot, it looks so painful. he says it's not. I don't know if I believe him.
I spent the last part of Mother's Day finishing up all the thank you cards for the shower so Tom could take them to work today. I felt pretty accomplished getting them done so quickly, and now I won't have two lists worth of cards to do after my co-workers throw their shower in a few weeks.
All in all, it was a pretty great day! Tom's letter made me cry (happy tears of course), breakfast was delicious, and waiting on Tom was kind of fun because he's been waiting on me for the past six months. I also felt much better than I did on Saturday, so I was in a pretty good mood. I still didn't sleep last night, but I have come to expect that now.
I already can't wait to celebrate next Mother's Day with Tom and our baby :)
No comments:
Post a Comment