Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nursery Progress

So this has been a pretty successful week as far as getting items for the baby! I've been trying to shop around and get items a few at a time so we don't have to do it all at once at the end. It's been kind of fun to do the research on items and figure out what the best prices are so that when I find them in a thrift store I know if it's a good deal or not. I've been watching Craigslist like a hawk!

So I've been doing some thrift shopping, but I also found some great things at a couple consignment events that I found this past week. I'm sure they do these in lots of areas, but I swear I've never heard of this until I moved here. Probably because I was never pregnant anywhere else. But there are so many of them! Different churches, children's groups, consignment organizations, etc, hold these big semi annual consignment events where you can go and find tons of used items. The tricky thing is that it's consignment, and whoever is trying to sell it makes the price and just drops it off. So even though there are ten exact same toys, they all have different prices. And the owners aren't actually there to barter with. So you want to go early. The nice thing is, they are like giant indoor yard sales that only sell kids items so you don't have to drive from sale to sale and pick through things you aren't looking for. The other nice thing is that several of them have a "pre-sale" for pregnant ladies if you sign up early! So I did.

We just got back from one that was held inside a former Old Navy. This is where I found the adorable giraffe seat thing in the picture below. Yes, I'm pretty sure our bright colored jungle and safari theme is slowly getting a giraffe focus. It's hard not to! I love giraffes and now I have an excuse to get cute giraffe themed things. Because I've never seen a giraffe chair for myself. Or a super cute giraffe dress. Also, it was pretty fun to watch Tom carry that thing around while we shopped :)

I was also excited to find the Bumbo. I really wanted one but they are way too much in the stores. I've been searching them out on Craigslist just to get an idea of what would be reasonable to pay for one at yard sales this summer, but this one at the sale tonight was cheaper than anything I've seen on Craigslist. AND it came with the tray! So I snagged it.

The changing table is actually from Craigslist, we just picked it up the other day. I love it and although I wasn't originally planning on really having a changing table, I'm happy that we will have the option to use it that way if we like. I'm sure it will mostly be shelves and storage. But I need that too!

Sorry about the ugly laundry room picture. We haven't actually taken any craft items out of the nursery yet, so there isn't any room for this stuff up there yet!

I don't have a picture, because it's kind of boring, but at a sale last Friday we were also able to pick up a Boppy that was basically new, and a nice baby carrier that was still in the box and can be used to put the baby in the front or on your back. Oh, and I also finally found some decent, not ugly maternity jeans for only $4!!

That's what we've collected so far, and I think we might hold off on getting too much more until there is actually room to put it in the nursery. Our laundry room will eventually run out of space! Basically all the items we found this week are the exact items that I was hoping to find because I feel like these particular items are ridiculously priced when new. I also like the idea of recycling and re-using stuff. Maybe it's the Oregon in me.

Okay, bedtime for me. Hopefully tomorrow I can get in another weekly belly shot. I think I've grown but it can be hard for even me to tell until I have the picture to compare!

1 comment:

  1. Loving all these fun baby goodies! I am a huge Boppy fan & that giraffe is awesome! Our girls are long out of the diaper phase, but we still use the old changing table as a shelf in our bathroom. Lol! Hooray for all these great consignment/craigslist finds! :)

    ReplyDelete