So I realize that I haven't written much about this pregnancy at all, especially compared to how much I wrote about and documented my pregnancy with Amelia! And I feel a little bad. I took weekly progression photos with her, I kept track of all my symptoms and growth, it was all a big thing. This time, the pregnancy has been so easy, and I'm so busy with Amelia, that I sort of don't even have time to think about it much!
But here's my chance for a major update. We had the big 20 week ultrasound today, which is a big deal on so many levels. It's fun to get to see the baby moving around in there, it's wonderful to make sure that everything is okay and on track as far as growth and measurements, and it's extra exciting to find out the sex!!
Way back before Amelia, we decided we wanted two kids, and that it would be awesome if we had one of each. So, the day we found out Amelia was a girl, we hoped that the next one would be a boy. Then, we had Amelia, and it sort of didn't matter as much anymore. Having a little girl is so fun, and I knew that having two of them would be great. Plus we already have all the clothes, etc. That being said, having one of each still sounded fun as well! So, we went into the ultrasound not really leaning toward one or another. Kind of. I think Tom was leaning a LITTLE more towards wanting a boy, but I know that he would have been truly happy with another girl.
For the record, I had no "feelings" about it one way or another. My maternal instinct must not be that strong. In the very beginning, I thought it was a girl. Then this pregnancy was SO different from Amelia's, that I figured it must be a boy and from there on I flip flopped between boy and girl. Everything has been a million times easier this time. Not that Amelia's was hard. But I really have no symptoms, except being tired, and getting bigger in the stomach area ;) Even in the first trimester, I think I felt the nausea for like, two days. With Amelia the nausea lasted well into the 14th week. Not that I ever threw up, I just felt queasy a lot and could only eat bland foods for fear that anything else would make me more sick.
Anyway, that's another reason that this pregnancy has barely been mentioned. There really isn't much to say, which is great. I am very, very, grateful for it. I can't imagine being even a little bit sick and still have to chase around Amelia, and change her yucky diapers.
The other fun fact of the day is that this ultrasound happened just 4 days before Tom's birthday. Which is fun in itself, but it's also kind of interesting because Amelia's ultrasound was actually on my birthday. So we each got to have a fun experience for our birthday. When I do the math, it makes sense. Our birthdays are five and half months apart, and the kids' due dates are five and half months apart. Funny how it worked out that way though.
So, we went to the ultrasound and I was so nervous and excited. We brought Amelia with is, and she had no idea what was going on but it was still fun to have her be there for the big news. Not too long into the scan, the tech announced that the baby was a boy!!!
Tom was visibly excited, and I was just as happy. Partly because we had a solid boy name, and we were still debating on potential girl names. I like to go to the ultrasound prepared, and this time we were close on the girl name, but just not there. So maybe having a boy was meant to be :) Regardless, I still made her show us the proof, requested a picture of the proof, and asked her the percentage of how "sure" she was. Just like I did with Amelia. It says a lot about me that I go in having to know the sex because I want to be prepared, and then I still can't fully trust it, and try to convince myself that we still aren't technically prepared. But even Tom was sure that the boy parts were obviously there, and he admits to not knowing much about ultrasounds in general. So between Tom and the tech, I believe we are having a boy. Most of the time :)
His name is Oliver Vernon Lee Wagner, and we are very excited to have him join our little family!
The ultrasound went well and it was interesting to see the differences between his scan and Amelia's scan. Amelia was constantly moving in hers, and Oliver was still for a lot of it. The tech had to keep pushing on my stomach to get him to move around. I kept looking at him not moving at all and was worried enough to ask the tech if it was okay that he was so still, because Amelia had moved so much in hers. She said it was totally fine, and that he was either just resting or is just plain less active than Amelia was. It's true that I feel him far less than Amelia, but it's definitely early. I don't remember exactly when I started feeling her moving so often, I just know that at some point, it seemed like she never stopped.
But maybe his personality will to be a little less active than his sister's. Maybe he'll be more of a cuddler.
It's fun to wonder.
Here is an ultrasound picture, and an attempt at getting photos of Amelia "announcing" the big news. She was pretty excited about getting to be on the couch all by herself, and wouldn't really hold still. But we made it work.

Though I haven't been taking pictures every week, I actually have taken some. Here is what I have so far.
20 Weeks
17 weeks
10 weeks (I think)
That's really all I have. I'm going to make an effort to take more, if only so I potentially feel less guilt about paying so much more attention to the last pregnancy than this one.

I bet he will be a cuddler. It seems like I know a lot of families (including my own) where the oldest daughter is pretty busy and independent, and then the brother comes along and he's a mommy's boy - snuggly, and still busy, but without the same kind of intensity as big sis. That's my prediction at least :). I can't wait to see what he looks like too! I saw Sterling in Utah last week and was just blown away at his gorgeous little mini-me's :). Don't feel guilty about the lack of documentation. Our recorded offering to our kids of their own lives (even after the first-born) are so thorough they'll probably never even be very interested - especially a boy :). They'll love having pictures I'm sure, but I fear my children will think I was a little over-the-top. Oliver won't feel less loved. Oh ya - and I love his name!!
ReplyDeleteI think you are right. He has definitely been more active in there lately than he was before, but I just have a feeling about him being more cuddly and attached. I do appreciate Amelia's independence, it actually makes our life pretty easy in a way(busy, but easy), but having a kid who occasionally just wants from snuggles from his mom would be nice as well :)
DeleteThank you for making feel better about the lack of documentation. You are right, as much as I think I'm under-doing it, I really probably am over-doing it (but in a good way). Every single printed picture of me as a child can fit in a box. If I printed every single picture I have of Amelia....they would fill this house. And she's not even 16 months old. As far as photos, Oliver will be no different. I just hope I can keep up at least some writing as well.